Friday, September 30, 2011

Hello? Does anyone see me?

As a people leader, one of the most important things we can do is to recognize our employees. But what in the world does that even mean?  We hear about recognition and it sounds like another corporate buzz word.  It's understandable that some people just tune it out.  It would be wise, instead, to sit up and pay attention. Recognition is NOT just a buzz word.  It is fundamental to getting the most out of your employees. As an example of what I am talking about, take a moment to think about the last few times you did something for someone else...

No, really think about it! 

Got it?  Ok, read on...

The things you are thinking of likely required varying levels of effort on your part.  Some are easy, and we may even do them without thinking (holding a door for someone), some take a little more work (changing plans so you can give a friend a ride home), and others can be truly taxing (helping paint your neighbor's basement).  Now, I want you to think about whether the recipient of your kindness acknowledged it.  Did they say 'thank you' or at least smile? Did they buy you lunch or a cup of coffee for your trouble?  (this is the point where I am hopefully tapping into your emotions a bit). What if they did none of these things, and your actions went unnoticed and seemingly unappreciated?  Feels kinda crummy. 

Ok, let's jump back into the workplace.  Let's say I work as a hostess at a local restaurant.  I spend my Friday and Saturday nights smiling, welcoming customers, showing them to their seats and thanking them profusely (but not overdoing it). Most of my customers are nice people, but there are nights when I deal with really nasty ones. They roll their eyes, and make snide comments about the long wait.  On a busy night when a server calls out sick, I help get drinks refilled and clear away plates, all while keeping an eye on the hostess stand so as not to leave anyone waiting too long.  Anyway, such is the life of the hostess.

On a particularly grueling night, with two people out unexpectedly and some pretty annoyed customers breathing down my neck, I turn to see my boss standing behind me.  She smiles and says, "Thanks for helping out. I know it's been a tough one tonight but you're doing great."  Then she heads back to the kitchen.  The customers are still there and the night isn't over yet, but guess what?  That comment was pretty nice to hear, and it means something.  It means that as busy as we are, my boss found the time to tell me I am doing a great job.  I just got recognition

What does this have to do with getting the most out of your employees? Well, what do you think I feel about my boss after that kind of recognition?  I feel like she knows how much effort I am putting in tonight. I am feeling appreciated. I like getting recognition because it feels good, and I feel like I have a pretty good boss.*  Now, I work just a little harder than maybe I was before.  I owe it to her to make sure I am doing a great job tonight....you possibly just got an extra 10% of effort from me and all it took was a ninety-second interaction. 

Hopefully, you are making some of the connections on your own at this point.  In my next entry, I will provide some concrete examples of recognition that can be tailored and used with your own employees. 

*Disclaimer: I realize it takes more than one interaction to make me think I have a pretty good boss. We'll talk more about that later.

 

1 comment:

  1. In any corporation or business, I strongly believe that recongizing the hard work of employees is key in maintaining their motivation, decication, and calls for a pleasant work environment. In management, one must be mindful of their recognition to employees to ensure that they are appreciated, respected, and ackowledged for their hard work.

    ReplyDelete